Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bonjou ak byenvini!

"Hello and welcome" to my new blog for my upcoming adventure in Haiti (Ayiti). You will notice that I am trying to incorporate Haitian-Creole into this blog as much as possible. It is a central part of Haitian culture and I can't wait to learn it. Plus, I enjoy seeing the French influences when it's written out.

Now, let me begin by explaining the title of my blog. In Haitian tradition, when somebody wants to tell a story, they ask "Krik?" And when people want to hear said story, they respond "Krak!" Isn't that awesome?!!! So, here we go fellow readers...Krik? (I am going to assume you are all yelling "Krak!" enthusiastically at your computer)

Most of you reading this already know that in about 3 weeks Port-au-Prince, Haiti will become my new home for a year. Yes folks, that's right, I got a job! I will be the Assistant ESL Teacher for the organization HELP (Haitian Education and Leadership Program).

HELP awards merit-based scholarships to disadvantaged Haitian students so that they can attend university. These students would never be able to afford college if it wasn't for HELP. It's practically a miracle that they even made it this far. And the program is quite successful: 90% of students granted these scholarships graduate and 100% of those find a good job in Haiti. The key words being "in Haiti." These students are not only dedicated to improving their personal situations, but also their country. With steady work, they are able to provide for their families, often sending their relatives to school, and contribute to breaking the cycle of poverty and helplessness.

In addition to their normal university schedules, the students are required to take Spanish, English, and leadership courses. Enter: me! I will be working with the head ESL instructor on revamping the ESL curriculum to include better testing components and to reinforce the leadership program. Needless to say, I am getting more and more excited everyday about working with these students!

For more information on HELP, check out their website: www.haitianeducation.org

Enough about the job, my biggest concern now is getting ready. How exactly does one prepare for a country which has recently been ravaged by a 7.0 earthquake and has pretty much remained in piles of rubble? Well, to be honest, I don't really know. I have no idea what to expect. Haiti has dropped off the radar in the news and I don't think the situation has much improved. When I first found out I'd be going, I immediately thought I needed to take my own backpacking camp with me. A Tent, water purifier, sleeping bag and pad, Sierra cup, knife, etc. etc. were all on my DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT list. But, thank goodness for Michael, the head ESL instructor  who is already down there. He pretty much told me that HELP has all of that kind of stuff in their emergency equipment. So I suppose I don't need to worry about it. However, I think I'll still take my water purifier and knife. They could be really handy, and won't take up that much space.


I also realized that I am going to a tropical country where diseases such as AIDS, Malaria, and Dengue Fever have been a problem even before the whole country crumbled. So yesterday I went to a doctor who specializes in tropical diseases. He was an old man spewing about how awful all these maladies are and how dangerous his patients' said Haiti is. These diseases do sound terrifying, and since most are carried by mosquitoes (who already eat me alive), I will be taking Malaria pills and dousing myself in 40% DEET. Oh, and get this, beyond the fact that mosquitoes love my blood, I am also aesthetically the prime target for those Malaria-carrying buzzers. Apparently, they love black clothing, shiny jewelry, and sweet perfumes. This is no joke; he was completely serious. Guess what I was wearing in his office? Exactly that, a black blouse, a pair of costume gold earrings, and some nice gardenia scented perfume.  I thought to myself: No black? Really?!! No big gold hoops? WHAT? No perfume? That's no good. I can't wear deodorant because of an allergic reaction. Perfume was my only French-inspired hope to covering up my stench. Oh well, I signed up for this; and despite these slight obstacles, I know I'll figure it out.

5 comments:

  1. First (Follower and post).

    I am truly jealous that you will experience a culture and job that is beyond my wildest fantasies. I am truly happy for you and will follow this blog and be a full supporter till kingdom come. Good luck and I hope for many updates.

    - Omar

    ReplyDelete
  2. KRAK MOTHAFUCKA!

    seriously i'm so excited to hear about your adventures. BE SAFE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, Mimi! You have always been adventuresome, curious to learn about other people and cultures, and eager to help others. This will be a life-changing year, I'm sure. May you enjoy it (safely) to the fullest! I love you.....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krak, Krak, KRAK!!! KRAK!!! KRAK!!! Crack is whack, but KRAK as in Krik Krak is where it's at!!! At that is with you in Haiti Mimi!!! WOW! Mimhead! EVERYONE I talk to, I tell them about you in Haiti. The incredible jazz singer, Karrin Allyson, was sooo inspired to hear of you going to Haiti...she really wants to go there & help out. I want to link you both so you can work something out...maybe ESL - singing - music - jazz...whatever...she rocks & so do you!!! Anyway, Krik some ass & I'm KRAKing, waiting for the next story!!! Werrrk sisterrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be awesome, Mimi! I am jealous, although after a year of doing something similar I am back to be home for a while. :)
    I had to get everything down to rabies shots before I left for Africa. Avoid those mosquitos! And blood!
    I know you are going to have such a great experience and I cannot wait to hear about it. Good luck and enjoy! Try to take the time to stop and reflect on every moment experienced-- good and bad-- because it will definitely be something that touches you in a special way.

    ReplyDelete